Friday, June 26, 2009

You can go to a home again

They say you can’t go home again, but you can go back to a home. When you move around a lot, you end up having many homes.
I find it fascinating to talk to a cousin in France who is in the same house that my great-great- grandfather lived in after his birth in 1807 until his death many years later with his descendents maintaining residence in the home.
But me and others, we haven’t experienced that. Sometimes, when you go back to a former house, the owner will see you looking around and take pity on you and let you look around the house.
(I think of the movie, Crimes and Misdemeanors wherein a main character is invited into his former home and old characters have old discussions and then invite him to participate. I mention the movie since it is an amazing blend of deep philosophical contemplation juxtapositioned with wackiness.)
I looked around my ex-wife’s former home. She remembered the rooms bigger since her perspective was the memory of a 5 year old. I showed the nice fellow who let me walk around inside my grandparent’s house the cause of some dents in his wall (the results of the wooden shaft of rubber tipped arrows hitting the wall and denting the soft part of the wood). Recently, as I looked at the house that I lived in for three years (and left 25 years ago) after parking in front of it and standing there taking pictures of it, I saw the garage door open and out came the present owner. I disarmed him by introducing myself and we discussed all the owners from first construction to the present. I noted his 30 foot tree that wasn’t there when I left, the fence, the hedges and the bars on the windows and doors. (cost me $2500 he said!) We shook hands and I told him I appreciated the conversation and tried to find one of my favorite restaurants but it was gone so I tried another place. It must have been good since I ate too much!!!

No comments: