Friday, March 2, 2018

The Dead Sea Scrolls

I wrote in the Commander’s Column in the Soundoff! that I have been told that I sound like a “broken record” when it comes to safety. Each season, I talk about the same hazards. Two-thousand years ago, some of the same Bible texts we have today were hidden in caves in the Dead Sea. We had texts of the Bible, but people were all excited to read these old texts. I would like people to be excited about my recurring safety tips. I know they won’t, but I can dream!!
I think I will place my lifetime safety book, My Goodbye to Safety, in a cave. When it is found in 2000 years, I think people will be interested in something that happened about 25 years ago. At Fort Meade, MD, we support military deployed world-wide in harm’s way. About 25 years ago, the 101st Air Assault Division deployed and fought in Iraq during Desert Storm. When they returned, in the next year, there were more fatalities than they had in Iraq. The cause –DUI. Today, we have the same hazard we had 25 years ago and we talk about it every year, every day. I wish we could stop talking about it. I do recommend if you feel the need to drive impaired, talk to a substance abuse counselor.

No comments: