Friday, August 31, 2018

I like to look at the titles of books in my book cases. I have resigned myself to the fact that I can't read them all. However, there are a lot of nuggets of truth inside the books. I picked up the Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin, a book that had been in the book case of my grandparents. I read that Benjamin had enjoyed researching his ancestors and he felt it useful to write about himself for his family. I do the same and I don't mind if others enjoy listening in on the conversation!. I may not have met my grandmother Sadie (AKA Sigridur) but in the last few years I have been to her birth place in Iceland, her first stop in North America, Gimli, Manitoba, her second stop in Markerville, Alberta, her third stop Rock Castle, WA( I used to pass by years and years ago driving up and down the old 99 and I-5). I had been to Hoquiam,WA but it was meaningful to see where she lived and across the river where her adopted father worked with lumber. I have been to Gig Harbor, WA where she moved and years before that I had visited the house where she lived with my grandfather Will in Tacoma before she passed due to an infection as she donated blood to a child (they were connected) Sadly, I visited her grave in Gig Harbor surrounded by family and friends. I wish she had written an autobiography, but she still speaks in her quoted words and actions in the past.

No comments: